Occupational Dermatosis- A Neglected Entity
English

Charulatha K. S, Mamatha S Kusagur
2020 Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences  
BACKGROUND Skin is our primary interface with the external environment. Occupational dermatosis is defined as any pathological condition of the skin for which job exposure can be a major direct or contributory factor. The commonest is work-related contact dermatitis (~90%). The other 10% includes infections, urticaria, chemical burns, photodermatitis, cutaneous malignancies etc. It is not only a health problem but also an economic issue. Aim of the study was to examine the epidemiological and
more » ... idemiological and clinical characteristics of workers with occupational skin disease. METHODS Data on demography, age, sex, education, type of occupation, type of dermatosis, and possible etiological factor were collected based on a pre-tested, semi structured questionnaire. This is a cross-sectional study conducted in a tertiary care centre during the period of RESULTS Incidence among males and females was almost the same and majority were from rural areas and had finished primary schooling. Mean age was between 25 to 44 years. Majority of patients were farmers and were having intertrigo, moniliasis, photodermatitis, or contact dermatitis. Contact dermatitis was the most common disease in our study, with cement being the most common causative factor in males and soaps/detergents in females. CONCLUSIONS To conclude, most of the patients were farmers as agriculture is one of the main occupations in our country and among the dermatoses, contact dermatitis was the most common in our study with cement being the most common causative factor among males.
doi:10.14260/jemds/2020/316 fatcat:qhtr7alg5baqpp23dbpwoq3che