Medication Compliance amongst Diabetic Patients in Ilorin, Nigeria

Fatima Iyabo Abdulazeez, Moses Omole, Sheriff Lekan Ojulari
2014 IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences  
Purpose: Diabetes is a serious condition on the global scale. There is a rapidly increasing prevalence and as such, patients' compliance with diabetic medication is a great cause for concern 2 . This study was carried out to investigate the degree of patients' compliance with their prescribed medications, factors responsible for noncompliance and how compliance can be enhanced. Methods: The study involved 220 diabetic patients on anti-diabetic medication (insulin, metformin and gliclazide)
more » ... ing the out-patient clinic of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Nigeria, who met specific criteria. Questionnaires and patient interviews were used to gather information. Results: From our results,162 patients (73.64%) were non-compliant with the remaining 58 patients (26.36%) being compliant with medications. 22 of the compliant patients were males while 36 were females. 23 of the compliant patients had no educational qualification while 35 had either primary, secondary and tertiary education. Results showed significant association (P<0.05) between patients financial status and compliance. However, there was no significant association (P>0.05) between number of prescribed medications, side effects, patients' level of education, patients' belief of efficacy of medication and compliance. Conclusion: Non-compliance among diabetics on medication was established and it was recommended that compliance be improved through various strategies that include improved patients' education.
doi:10.9790/0853-13329699 fatcat:6s7pwjucb5hbbmuztzkhfgs2w4