Study of Fish Diversity and Livelihood Status of Fishermen in Karatoya River, Panchagarh Region

Md. Abdur Razzaq Joadder, Sushen Roy, Dil Afroza Khanom, Syeda Nusrat Jahan, Md Al-Amin Sarker
2021 Journal of Science Foundation  
Objective: The study was conducted to investigate the fish diversity and socio-economic profiles of the fishermen of Karatoya River in Panchagarh district in the Northern part of Bangladesh. Methodology: Pertinent information was collected from forty randomly selected fishermen from the study area who were directly involved in fishing in the rivers during the period of twelve months from July 2017 to June 2018. The data interpretations showed that 50 fish species under 8 orders and 17 families
more » ... rs and 17 families were recorded from the Karatoya River during the study period. Cypriniformes was found as the most dominant order constituting 48% of the total fish populationfollowed by Channiformes (6%), Sliuriformes(18%), Clupiformes (6%), Mastacembeliformes (6%), Perciformes (12%), Beloniformes (2%), Tenaodontifomres (2%). Fishes in this river are seriously affected by the various kinds of natural and manmade causes. Under this circumstance, a better understanding of the diversity and distribution of fishes in the Karatoya River is urgently needed. Result: In the study area the fishermen age range from 16 to 65 years. It was found that most of the fishermen (35%) illiterate though a small proportion completed primary level of education. 75% percent of the fishermen used their own tube-well, while 20% and 5% used government and neighbors' tube-well, respectively. In the study area, 55% of the fishermen were far from power plants and the rest of them had (45%) access to electricity. Majority (45%) of the fishermen was 1-10 decimal land, while 17.5% had 11-20 decimal lands and 15% had above 40 decimal lands and significant proportion of fishermen depend upon village doctors (62.5%) for their health facilities. Forty five percent of fishermen were engaged in fishing as their main occupation, 40% in agriculture and 15% in daily labor. Conclusion: Fishermen of Karatoya River were mostly illiterate, poor income, lack of training exposure and lack of awareness about their health facilities and sanitation. Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(2):54-57
doi:10.3329/jsf.v17i2.51145 fatcat:ox6hyid52vd6dkcco2rrpco4lm