1908 BMJ (Clinical Research Edition)  
after a short illness. He died, if ever a man did, in harness. On Sunday morning, October 11th, he appeared perfectly well, he did his round as usual, walking up Highgate Hill to save his horse, laughingly remarking to the coachman on the necessity of keeping down the gout. In the afternoon he complained of sharp pain in the side, pleurodynia as he called it, and was persuaded to go to bed. Before this, he had occasionally complained of a little pain in the back, but it was not serious enough
more » ... ot serious enough for either himself or any of his friends to consider that it called for treatment. On Monday 'afternoon he was seized with a terrible attack of pain and collapse, and, thinking himself to be dying, bid good-bye to his wife, and said, "I have had beautiful life." After night's rest, however, he rallied, and took the keenest interest in the diagnosis of the nature of his attack, which was by no, means obvious, and joined quite impartially in the consultation that was held. The improvement was maintained for twenbty-eight hours, but then he became very ill and died quickly, never thinking of himself, considerate, coutrteous, and even humorous to within three minutes of his death. The cause of death was a quite unsuspected aortic aneurysm about the level of the diaphragm, which had burst into the right ! pleural cavity. James Grey Glover was bern at South Shields in 1832, and was one of the eight Sons of Alderman Terrot Glover. His boyhood was passed in his native town, and he t received the best education the place could give him in the wHiy of schooling, and the home training supplied by a large family of boys, a 'father of great ability and public spirit, and a mother of exceptional strength and sweetness. At the age of 16 he was apprenticed to Dr. Williamson of South Shields, a man of strong sense, sagacious judgement, and large experience. The lifelong friendship which r-esulted, and the affection shown by Dr. (Hover to his old friend and makster during Dr. Willamson's later years, were touching proofs of the agreeable relations which often came into existence under this old system of entering upon a medical education. Never was that clause of the Hippocratic oath, "1To reckon him that taught me this art equally dear to me as my parents; to look upon his offspring as my own brothers," better observed than by Dr. Glover, and, in truth, Dr. Williamson's son, Dr. Williamson of Ventnor. was a lifelong friend of Dr. Glover. After serving his apprenticeship young Glover entered at the University of Edinburgh, where he graduated M.D. in 1854. At Edinburgh he studied under the great men of that day, Goodsir, Syme, Christison, and son the last named, whose prize for the practice of medicine he won, was so great a hero to him that he named his second son, born fifteen or twenty years after theprofessor'sdeath, Alison. He took an honourable place in his classes, and in due course graduated, going later to the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin. Throughout youth and early manhood he was conspicuously what he was in later years, full of high enthusiasms, deeply religious, with large capacities -for friendship, and a rich delight in his professional work. After graduating, Dr. Glover acted as assistant in Wotton, Leicester, and Hounslow, and was Port Medical Officer at South Shields duiring an epidemic of cholera. He commenced practice in his native town, but his success only made him desire to go to London, where he actually took and furnished a house in 1858, but the sudden death of his mother on the very day that he arrived altered all his plans, and he went back again to the North. A few years later, however, he settled at Highbury, where he practised for the rest of his long life. His interest in public affairs and his desire to [improv.e the position of the profession to which he was so deepl attached, and of which he was so proud, led him to seek a further outlet for his
doi:10.1136/bmj.2.2495.1321 fatcat:ynx2zdr7mbczfkye6kdmxqzovi