Determinants of Stunting and Wasting Among the Children Under Five Years of Age in Rural India

Abhay Gaidhane, Pratiksha Dhakate, Manoj Patil, Quazi Syed Zahiruddin, Nazli Khatib, Shilpa Gaidhane, Sonali Choudhary
2021 International Journal of Current Research and Review  
Stunting and Wasting are effects of undernutrition in early childhood and their prevalence among rural under-5 children is an issue of special concern, especially in a district like Wardha which is known for repeated droughts and the notable number of farmer's suicides. Children with wasting and stunting reflect poor health outcomes in future. Developmental impairment is one of the prominent public health problems in developing countries is the impaired developmental status of children under 5.
more » ... f children under 5. and its effects can be permanent. Objective: To find out the prevalence and determinants of stunting and wasting among children under five years of age in the rural area of Wardha District of Maharashtra. Methods: Community-based cross-sectional study conducted among children aged from 1-month to 60-months (Under-5 years) in the rural area of Wardha district. Results: A total of 594 children were included in this study among which, 300 (50.5%) were males and the remaining 294 (49.5%) females. 122 (20.54%) children had wasting & 256 (43.09%) children had stunting. The overall study revealed more cases of stunting & fewer cases of wasting from the rural area of the Wardha district. A significant association was found between the prevalence of stunting and the age group. The proportion of children with severe stunting and wasting were maximum in the age group of 1 to 3 years. A significant association was found between stunting and initiation of breastfeeding within one hour of birth. A significant association was found between the prevalence of wasting and exclusive breastfeeding. Conclusion: The overall study shows that the scenario of stunting and wasting is similar across India. Future health promotion and education programs in Anganwadi centres should include a focused emphasis on good nutrition, IYCF practices and awareness campaigns for parents about undernutrition and its future consequences.
doi:10.31782/ijcrr.2021.131108 fatcat:aadacwkxbbdkhm3qvkkprn43vi