EVALUATION OF SELECTED SEED TREATMENTS, IN-FURROW INSECTICIDES, AND ADDITIONAL FOLIAR BROADCAST APPLICATIONS AT FIRST TRUE LEAF STAGE FOR CONTROL OF THRIPS IN COTTON, 2006

D.A. Herbert, S. Malone
2007 Arthropod Management Tests  
Tobacco thrips (TT): Frankliniella fusca (Hinds) Selected insecticides applied onto seed (some with additional foliar broadcast treatments) or into the seed furrow at planting were evaluated for control of thrips in Virginia cotton. 'Delta Pine 444 BG/RR' cotton was planted 4 May at the Virginia Tech Tidewater Agric. Res. & Ext. Ctr., Suffolk, VA, using 36-inch row spacing. Gaucho Grande and NUP-05071 600SC seed treatments were applied commercially. Granular in-furrow (IF) treatments were
more » ... d into the seed furrow at the time of planting using tractor-mounted inverted jars with lid holes calibrated to deliver exact amounts via gravity. Liquid IF treatments were applied into the seed furrow at 5 gpa using a micro-tube mounted between the disc openers, pressurized by CO 2 at 31 psi. The foliar treatments were applied with a CO 2 pressurized backpack sprayer as a broadcast at 14.3 gpa and 18 psi through 8002VS nozzles spaced 18 inches apart on the spray boom. Foliar applications were broadcast on 22 May at the first sign of true leaf emergence after the cotyledon stage (BC at 1 st tl). A RCB design was used with 4 replicates; plots were 4 rows by 40 ft. Thrips injury to plants was determined by visually rating injury using a 0 to 5 scale, where 0 = no thrips induced plant injury, 1 = 10% injured leaves, no bud injury; 2 = 25% injured leaves, no bud injury; 3 = 75% injured leaves, and 0 to 25% buds injured; 4 = 90% injured leaves, and greater than 25% buds injured; and 5 = dead plants. Yield was determined by harvesting 2 rows of each plot (80 row ft) using a commercial 2-row cotton picker. Sub-samples were ginned to determine lint versus seed and trash weight (41% lint, 59% seed and trash). Data were analyzed using ANOVA and LSD statistical procedures.
doi:10.1093/amt/32.1.f28 fatcat:zml4ahof6bbgrekii45kx5kr4m