1909 The Lancet  
Royal College of Physicians of London. After graduating at Aberdeen Dr. Coates settled in Bath where he soon made his mark. Early in his career he was elected physician to the Royal Mineral Water Hospital and also to the Royal United Hospital, and on resigning the latter post in 1882 he was elected honorary consulting physician. He was also honorary physician to the School for Daughters of Officers of the Army. In his time Dr. Coates had the most extensive practice of any medical man in Bath
more » ... ical man in Bath and the heighbourhood. He was an eminently sound and practical physician of the old school, one who treated the patient rather than the disease. He was well read and highly cultured but very modest and retiring in his disposition. Possessing ample means he was extremely generous, and in 1899 he gave £1000 to the Bath Bluecoat School, which was then in sore need. Some two years ago he gave a similar sum to the Royal College of Physicians of London to be expended in hospitality by the College. ON March 28th Mr. Charles Ernest Baker passed away quite suddenly at his residence in Gledhow-gardens, South Kensington. He appeared to be in good health except for the fact that he had been troubled with sleeplessness. He was averse to taking drugs to relieve the trouble, but on Saturday night decided to take a small dose of veronal. He was found unconscious iri the morning, and in spite of the unremitting care and sustained efforts of his medical friends passed away after a few hours without regaining consciousness. An inquest was held and a verdict returned of ° ° Death by misadventure," but as the published reports of the inquest give the impression that he was in the habit of taking drugs to induce sleep it is well to state that he had never done so previously except under medical advice, and that his tragic end must be ascribed to some idiosyncrasy on his part with regard to this particular drug. He was educated at Haileybury and at Trinity College, Cambridge. At Cambridge he took first-class honours in the natural science tripos and also the M.B. and B.C. degrees and subsequently the D.P.H. He proceeded to St. Bartholomew's Hospital, where he was a most successful student and where he served as house surgeon. He afterwards held the offices of house surgeon to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, resident medical offle3r to the Royal Free Hospital, and house surgeon to the East London Hospital for Children. He was admitted to the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1893. Mr. Baker possessed abilities of a high order, and was from the commencement until the end of his career a very earnest student of his work, while his character and disposition were such that he endeared himself greatly to those with whom he was brought in contact. He was a man of very high principles, both in his private and professional life, but so quiet and reserved by nature that only his intimate acquaintances were able to know the real man and realise how high were his ideals. The news of his death at the early age of 44 years will be received with profound regret by his brethren in the profession, who recognised his probity, admired his ability, and held his sterling qualities in high esteem. He leaves a widow and two daughters to mourn their loss. ____
doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(01)72142-3 fatcat:dfc2wkkdhffxfde7fnps275kua