Serious complications following (removal after) ingestion of a partial denture
Ernstige verwikkelingen door een ingeslikte gebitsprothese

M H T de Ruiter, Ph A Van Damme, J P H Drenth
2008 Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Tandheelkunde  
Complications occurred in a 41-year-old woman (case 1) following a first attempt to remove a partial denture by oesophagoscopy. These were: laceration of the oesophagus with subsequent mediastinitis, pneumothorax, and pneumopericardium. With a second oesophagoscopy the denture was removed from the oesophagus using a flexible endoscope with a latex hood. Following antibiotic treatment the patient recovered. With a 45-year-old man (case 2) who had also swallowed a denture, the denture initially
more » ... denture initially could not be localized. It was eventually recovered from the gastric antrum using a flexible scope with a latex hood, also in the second attempt. Psychiatric and mentally handicapped patients run a high risk of denture ingestion. Ingested dental prostheses are often radiolucent, and are difficult to visualize using conventional radiological methods. Extraction of the ingested foreign objects can lead to severe complications. This is why in this type of case, we recommend having an expert remove from a foreign object with the use of a flexible scope fitted with a latex hood. It is advisable to make removable dental prostheses radiopaque or to avoid using them with the identified risk-group.
pmid:18543694 fatcat:y63uuqt6r5fjhccpv5r3yokxny