The Internet Archive has a preservation copy of this work in our general collections.
A system of apparatus, devised by M. Chandron and de signed for sinking the shafts in coal mines, is exhibited in Machinery Hall. 'fhe machines are of colossal size and form, the most prominent feature of the vicinity. There is a tre pan weighing lIi tuns, which is made of forged iron, and fit ted with cutters secured by taper keys, so as to make a cut six feet long. The trepan is raised by steam power to a hight of three feet, and dropped. It is turned at each ele vation so that a circle, sixdoi:10.1038/scientificamerican10071876-232 fatcat:hpl4upfxf5dunaiwn64n7d3wna