Antimicrobial resistance pattern of bacterial isolates from burn wound infections in a tertiary care hospital

Khushboo Chaudahri, Smita Mundhe
2017 MedPulse International Journal of Microbiology   unpublished
Nosocomial infection is an important cause of mortality in burns. Rapidly emerging nosocomial pathogens and the problem of multi-drug resistance necessitates periodic review of isolation patterns and antimicrobial resistance pattern in the burn ward. This study was aimed to isolate the causative agents of infections in burn patients and the sensitivity pattern of them to the most commonly used antimicrobials in a tertiary care hospital. Material and Methods: Burn wound samples of 120burn
more » ... s of 120burn patients who had nosocomial infection due to burn wound with a hospitalization period of more than 48 hours were studied. The specimens were cultured using aerobic microbiological techniques. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing to different agents was carried out using the disc diffusion method. Results: Burn wound sampling revealed the prevalence of gram negative bacilli 138 (76.7%) over gram positive cocci 42 (23.3%). Pseudo. aeruginosa 83 (46.1%) were the predominant isolates followed by Staphylococcus spp. 42 (23.3%).Out of 42 gram positive organisms, 22 (52.4%) were found to be MRSA and remaining 20 (47.6%) were MSSA. Gram negative isolates were mostly sensitive to colistin and imipenem. Discussion: P. aeruginosa, Staphylococci spp., and E. coli were the most common species causing burn infection in our hospital.Limiting irrational use of wide-spectrum antimicrobials and strict management of infections in burn injury centers help in reducing the nosocomial infections due to P. aeruginosa and MRSA.
fatcat:lur4vcvzf5hizmsfxysvjecvdu