Soil Suitability Evalution for Plantation Crops in Wanci Island, Wakatobi Regency, Indonesia

M. Tufaila, La ode Rustam, Hasbullah Syaf, Made Widana Arsana, La Ode Afa, Nini Mila Rahni, Awaluddin Hamzah, Jufri Karim
2020 Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources (FANRes 2019)   unpublished
The Island of Wanci consists of unproductive lands whose area continuously increases, and therefore, integrated planning is required. A 4-month soil suitability evaluation for plantation crops was carried out in the District of South Wangi-Wangi using a structured survey method with an inter grid distance of 500 m. The results of soil observations per grid were mapped and resulted in 49 land units. Data of climate, soil physics and chemistry in each land unit were matched with land suitability
more » ... h land suitability criteria for several plantation crops, i.e. clove, durian, cashew, cocoa, coffee, coconut, mango, banana, rambutan dan salak crops. Land suitability class evaluation was based on soil actual and potential conditions. The results of the study showed that (1) Based on the actual soil conditions, all land units in the study area (6.065,08 ha) were not suitable (N) for the cultivation of those aforementioned crops; (2) Based on the potential soil conditions, the study area fell into 2 soil suitability classes, i.e. marginally suitable (S3) and not suitable (N). Only 19.4% of the study area (1.178,01 ha) was marginally suitable, while the rest (80.6% or 4.887,07 ha) was not suitable; (3) The dominant limiting factors in the study area were low rainfall (wa), rapid permeability (oa), shallow soil depth (rc), erosion hazard (eh) and constraints for land preparation due to surface rocks and rock outcrops (lp). Based on the results, it could be recommended that crop cultivations within the study area be conducted only on the marginally suitable land units. Such areas need further research on optimum fertilizer application and method in order for the crops to grow and produce better.
doi:10.2991/aer.k.200325.028 fatcat:rdhwja5nufem5lst7ibgqcnrg4