Anti Snake Venom Potential of Securidaca longepedunculata Leaf and Root Bark on Spitting Cobra (Naja nigricollis Hallowel) in Envenomed Wister Rats

Junaidu Sanusi, Kasim Shehu, Abdulhadi Bawa Jibia, Iliya Mohammed, Sanusi Liadi
2014 IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences  
This study was undertaken to investigate the anti snake venom potential of aqueous extracts of Securidaca longepedunculata leaves and root bark extracts against Snake venom of Spitting cobra (Naja nigricollis). The venom of Naja nigricollis snake was used to test the anti snake venom efficacy of the extracts, using experimental rats. The anti snake venom activity revealed that root bark extract are able to neutralize snake venom at 300mg/kg body weight with 100% survival. And the leaf extract
more » ... the leaf extract recorded lower anti venom activity of 0% at 200mg/ml survival and 33.33% of mortality at 300mg/ml. But in the combined root bark and leaves extract it shows higher activity of 66.67% survival at 300mg/ml and 33.33% mortality at 200mg/ml. The result indicate that phytochemical constituents of S. longepedunculata leaves and root bark extracts could also be used to enhance the treatment of the snake venom or bites as it shows a significant anti venom effect (p<0.05) against Naja nigricollis venom. Sub-acute toxicity and determination of LD 50 of the plant extracts should be carried out and to enlighten pharmacists on the use of such plant extract for the treatment of various snake bites.
doi:10.9790/3008-09639296 fatcat:xuwjkz3sbrekdo4tkyu5q7l4qe