Program Overview of the Supplementary Food Intervention for Chronic Energy Deficiency Pregnant Women and Thin Toddlers of South Halmahera Regency in Indonesia

Nani Supriyatni, Andiani, Suryani Mansyur, Diah Merdekawati
2020 Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Health Research (ISHR 2019)   unpublished
The nutritional status of toddlers in North Maluku Province in [2003][2004][2005][2006][2007][2008][2009][2010][2011][2012][2013][2014][2015][2016][2017] shows that wasting has decreased from 16.1% in 2003, 15.7% in 2013, and 10.3% in 2017. While the stunting condition has fluctuated from 25. 4% in 2003, 18.3% in 2013, and 25% in 2017. Meanwhile, the stunting condition in South Halmahera Regency in 2017 was 28.4%. Based on these conditions, the stunting in South Halmahera regency has increased.
more » ... This study purpose of obtaining an overview the supplementary food and storage, the supplementary feeding impact on chronic energy deficiency (KEK) pregnant women and underweight toddlers, and supplementary food utilization for KEK pregnant women and underweight toddlers by the target. The study conducted by survey method, where the sample population was all KEK pregnant women and underweight toddlers who had received supplementary feeding in public health centres (Puskesmas) work areas of Labuha, Babang, Bibinoi, Loleo Jaya, Bajo, Jiko, Indong, Gandasuli, and Indari districts in South Halmahera regency. The sample was a purposive sampling of 45 underweight toddlers and 44 KEK pregnant women. The results showed that the majority of pregnant women age early receiving supplementary food was in trimester 2 and 3 of 63.6%, and the rest were in trimester 1 of 36.4%. After supplementary food interventions for 1-3 months, pregnant women with good health conditions of 45.5%, while Chronic Energy Deficiency (KEK) conditions of 54.5%. Pregnant women who experienced a weight gain of 77.3% and 22.7% did not gain. Meanwhile, the nutritional status of underweight toddlers (BB/U) after consuming, 28.9% experienced a minimum increase in weight according to BB/U (proper nutrition), and 71.1% experienced under nutrition. Furthermore, Toddler weight gain was 93.3% and did not experience an increase of 6.7%. While the impact of supplementary feeding on weight gain of underweight toddlers is 28.9%, whose condition has improved, and 71.1% are still malnutrition. However, 93.3% experienced a weight increase. Therefore, the people concern need and joint support for KEK pregnant women and underweight toddler problems by attention food intake, environmental sanitation, and basic health services, and supplementary feeding counselling for pregnant women and toddler programs.
doi:10.2991/ahsr.k.200215.066 fatcat:x6ijrgautneijln5fgvx7dhfwu