Asphyxia from Carbonic Acid Gas

E. C. CROSS
1852 Boston Medical and Surgical Journal  
Was called Oct. 28th, hastily, to vist Miss E. S., a young lady of 17 years, who resided not more than 40 rods distant from my office. Found the room filled with neighbors, the windows raised, doors open, a vessel of burning charcoal in the room, and the patient insensible, breathless and pulseless. I immediately applied my ear to the chest, but could not detect any sound over the region of the heart or from the lungs ; eyes partly closed, lips colorless, countenance cadaverous. In answer to my
more » ... us. In answer to my inquiries, I was informed that, since cold weather commenced, this young lady had often carried a kettle of burning charcoal to her room to keep it warm, taking the precaution to ventilate the room by raising one window two or three inches ; that upon the present occasion, after conversing with a friend, who had called for an indefinite time, whilst
doi:10.1056/nejm185204280461303 fatcat:rnv7lpjirrdbpdlt6dxezrloza