treatment of pannus. He said that in the ophthalmic department of the St. Rochus Hospital, which is the largest one in Budapest, incurable cases of this kind were admitted, although they were excluded from most private and public hospitals. He had therefore to deal with the most inveterate and desperate cases of trachoma and the consequent pannus. With these patients he tried every kind of treatment-local, general, internal, and surgical, but all in vain. This was so great a disappointment to
... disappointment to him that he felt himself justified in reviving the above-mentioned long disused method of treatment. It naturally appeared to be dangerous, but as the patients were already to all intents and purposes hopelessly blind there did not seem to be any objection to making an attempt to give them relief. On the other hand, this method has been described to be fairly effective by the best ophthalmologists of the middle of the nineteenth century-namely, Jaeger, Arlt, and Stellwag. Dr. Goldzieher began his experiments with this method on a soldier who had for three years been suffering from severe pannus crassus and had been treated in two military hospitals and one civil hospital in every imaginable way but without the least benefit. When he was admitted to Dr. Goldzieher's clinic his visual power was almost nil. On Sept. 12th, 1907, he inoculated this patient's left eye with the secretion from the eye of an infant suffering from gonorrhoeal ophthalmia. The disease broke out in the man's eye after three days and lasted for three weeks or so. The patient was afterwards sent home to await there the clearing up of his cornea. He presented himself again at the beginning of December and the result was found to be surprising. The cornea had become quite clear; even the conjunctival tract had regained its soundness and the visual power reached about s. Emboldened by this success, Dr. Goldzieher then inoculated the patient's right eye and the result will, seemingly, be as good as in the left eye. From these favourable results Dr. Goldzieher drew the conclusion that inoculation of the eye with gonorrbaea might be tried as a last resource in cases of apparently hopeless pannus crassus. The Decline of Medical Researeh. The last meeting of the year is always a festivity in the Royal Medical Society of Budapest. In 1907 the presidential address was delivered at this meeting by Dr. Arpad B6kay, professor of pharmacology at the University of Budapest. He called attention to the fact that the papers embodying the results of original research had been falling off for the last three or four years. The prizes offered for such contributions represented a not inconsiderable sum, but some of them had recently been withheld in consequence of the inadequate competition. He attributed this decline in medical research to the necessity imposed on practitioners of working so hard for their livelihood that they had no inclination to commence scientific investigations after the fatigue of the day. The staff of the clinic received so little remuneration that after finishing their heavy work in the wards these gentlemen endeavoured to increase their income by attending private patients. Only such members of the staff as were financially independent could devote their time to scientific research. The salaries of the clinical staff would, however, in course of time be considerably raised and they would then be in a better position for undertaking original work. The society held 24 meetings in 1907. There were 25 lectures delivered, the subjects being theoretical medical science, general pathology, clinical medicine, surgery, psychiatry, neurology, paediatrics, obstetrics, gynaecology, forensic medicine, dermatology, and roentgenology. At the meetings 41 medical men exhibited 57 patients. The society had also a jubilee meeting, when the festival address was delivered by Professor Hugo Preis on the subject of Virulence and Therapeutics. Jan. 4th. MEDICAL INSPECTION OF SCHOOL CHILDREN.-The question of the medical inspection of school children was discussed at a recent meeting of the Warmley (Gloucestershire) out-relief union and the chairman remarked that he hoped that the local district officers' would be selected for the work.-A conference between the district medical officers of Wiltshire and the county education committee was held at Trowbridge on Jan. 10th. The questions discussed were how far the district medical officers would undertake the duties of inspecting the children I and what fees would be charged. He qualified in 1885, graduating as M.B., and taking his diploma as Member of the Royal College of Surgeons -of England in that year. After holding various appointmentsat St. George's Hospital he was elected a house physician to the Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest at Brompton, and he afterwards settled down in practice at Blackheath, in which place he resided nearly the whole of his life. Soon after settling in practice there he was elected as physician to the Miller Hospital, Greenwich, and hewas also one of the honorary surgeons to the Royal Kent Dispensary. For some time before his death he had been troubled with vague pains in his external auditory meatnsand on examination a very small, dry and quite superficial sequestrum was found which was removed. The sequestrum was quite loose and came away perfectly easily. There wereno signs of anything septic, no foetor, and no sign of any recent inflammation. On the night of Jan. 8th he expressed himself as feeling very comfortable and much relieved, but on Thursday night he developed partial paralysis of the right arm with extreme rigidity of muscles at the back of the neck. Shortly afterwards he became comatose and death occurred early on Friday morning. The suddenness of his death will come as a shock to his many friends and isrendered all the more sad by the fact that his wife had been confined only a day or two before his death.