Sero-Molecular Detection of Toxoplasma Gondii Infection among HIV-Positive Patients in Khartoum : A Cross Sectional Study

Elghazali Mohammed, Mustafa Yassin, Khalid Anan, Awadalkareem Omer, Mutaz A. Elsir, Abdelrahim M. ElHussein, Alamin Abdalkareem, Osman Mansour
2021 International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology  
and Aim : Toxoplasmosis is one of the most common comorbidities in HIV-positive patients with CD4+ T lymphocytes below 200 cells/μl. Toxoplasmosis with encephalitis may affect HIV infection, in particular in patients with developing AIDS. Early diagnosis and treatment of toxoplasmosis reduces the mortality rate in HIV-positive people. The aim of this study was to estimate the seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in HIV-positive patients in Khartoum, Sudan using serological and
more » ... methods. Methods : This was a descriptive cross sectional, hospital based study, blood sample were collected from 100 participants; out of them were 50 HIV/AIDS patients and 50 were healthy Blood donors attending HIV Center -Omdurman Hospital, and Sudan Heart Center blood bank respectively. Socio- demographic data were collected by structured questionnaire. Of the 50 HIV/AIDS patients, 25 (50%) were from each gender, their age ranged between 22 and 62 with mean of 39.5+10.69. They were classified into two age groups; from 22 to 42 years, and from 43 to 62 years, and their distribution was 29 (58%), and 21 (42%) respectively. According to the clinical stage they were classified into the four clinical-stage groups and their distribution was as following: 06 (12.0%) in stage 1, 02 (04%) in stage 2, 40 (80.0%) in stage 3, and 02 (04.0%) in stage 4. Twelve of them (22%) were under ART treatments. The 50 blood donors on their hand were all males, their age was ranged between 18 and 42 years old. Regarding their educatio, 15 (30%) were educated, while the remaining 35 (70%) were none educated. Mentioning their marital status 10 (20%) were married, while 40 (80%) were single. Regarding the contact with cats 25 (50%) has contact with cats. All samples collected were tested for anti-Toxoplasma IgG and IgM antibodies by ELISA, and by PCR for detection of Toxoplasma DNA.. Results: Out of the 50 HIV/AIDS patients; Anti-Toxoplasma IgM was detected in two patients (04%), while IgG was detected in 08 (16%) patients, the Toxoplasma DNA was detected in three (06%) patients.Regarding the blood donors group; all studied blood donors showed negative results for anti-toxoplasma IgM, while 16 (32%) showed positive anti-Toxoplasma IgG.No blood donors sample was detected positive for Toxoplasma DNA with PCR. There were no significant differences in comparison between the blood donors and the HIV/AIDS patients regarding serological and molecular toxoplasma test results. Conclusion : The current study showed a relatively high seroprevalance of anti-T.gondii IgG and low IgM antibodies in HIV-positive patients in comparison with previous studies in Sudan. Considering the relatively high seroprevalance rate of toxoplasma infection in blood donors reported in this study, toxoplasmosis should be considered as a significant transfusion risk.
doi:10.32628/ijsrst218524 fatcat:iwgxaoixhrhkpf3443ymt4q6wy