Estimation of Economic Losses due to Haemorrhagic Septicaemia in Cattle and Buffaloes in India

B. Singh, Shiv Prasad, Med Ram Verma, D.K. Sinha
2014 Agricultural Economics Research Review  
In the present study, a methodology for the evaluation of economic losses due to Haemorrhagic Septicaemia has been developed by considering various possible direct and indirect losses in cattle and buffaloes. This methodology has been used to estimate the economic losses using survey data. It is revealed that the morbidity losses account for 23 per cent of the total losses and the rest (77 %) are due to mortality of the animals. Of the total morbidity losses, about half have been due to
more » ... been due to reduction in growth and one-fifth due to loss in milk. The total economic loss per infected animal due to Haemorrhagic Septicaemia has been estimated as ' 6816 in case of cattle and ' 10901 in buffalo. These losses when scaled-up at the national level have indicated a loss of ' 5255 crore. The direct losses contribute 80.3 per cent and indirect losses contributed 19.7 per cent to the total economic loss. The study has found that calves contribute 74.8 per cent and adults contribute 25.2 per cent to the total economic loss due to Haemorrhagic Septicaemia.
doi:10.5958/0974-0279.2014.00030.5 fatcat:awamnm2dvzcbrgdueaarxckn44