KNOWLEDGE AND ATTITUDE OF MEDICAL STUDENTS TOWARDS RESEARCH AT RAWAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH SCIENCES

Asma Abdul Qadeer, Mirza Inam Ul Haque, Uzma Hassan, Sheikh kashif Rahim, Shakila Bangash
2018 Pakistan Journal of Public Health  
Research plays a prominent role in day to day life. Very little amount of literature is available on students interest and involvement in research in Pakistan, Most of the studies are quite old and new studies are required to identify the changing trends. It is therefore important to understand and highlight the attitudes and barriers of undergraduate medical students come across in conducting quality research. Objective: Our study intended to assess the knowledge and attitude of medical
more » ... e of medical students at RIHS towards research. Methods: A cross sectional study of five months duration was carried out at RIHS. Sample size of 224 MBBS students was taken, with 5% margin of error and 95% confidence level. Response rate was 67%. Data was collected through close ended questionnaire and was analyzed using SPSS version 17/MS excel. Results: Most (65%) of the students only knew about research and its uses. The rest of 35% had no idea what research is about and what is the process. Out of those 65% who had knowledge, 39% students have conducted research in their life time, out of those 39 %, 16% have previous exposure of conducting research at school, and 23% have done it as a part of mandatory training at medical college (RIHS). The rest of students have done it with their teachers as a part of the team. Conclusion: The most important finding in this research was suggestion of enforcement of research project in the curriculum and as a part of their assessment and the preponderance of participating students considered it difficult to conduct research , with the most common barrier being lack of time, research training , schooling background, and the lack of motivation.
doi:10.32413/pjph.v8i1.52 fatcat:ixk5zlmvjrdztl3u3vedqllkr4