Phase II Study of PEND Chemotherapy in Patients with Refractory/Relapsed Hodgkin Lymphoma

Dina Ibrahim, Mitchell R Smith, Mary Varterasian, Chatchada Karanes, Michael Millenson, Gwen Yeslow, Pamela Pemberton, Ping Lai, Judith Abrams, Ayad Al-Katib
2004 Leukemia and Lymphoma  
High-dose chemotherapy with autologous marrow or stem cell rescue (HDC/ASCT) is an effective strategy in patients with relapsed Hodgkin lymphoma. Various chemotherapy regimens have been used for cytoreduction prior to HDC/ASCT. In this study, our objective was to determine the response rate to PEND in a group of patients with relapsed Hodgkin lymphoma. Nineteen patients with relapsed or primary refractory Hodgkin lymphoma underwent treatment with the PEND regimen and received a median of 2
more » ... s (1 -6 cycles). The PEND regimen builds on our prior results with ABDIC and consists of prednisone 40 mg/m 2 orally (PO) daily 6 5 days; etoposide 50 mg/m 2 PO daily 6 14 days; mitoxantrone 5 mg/m 2 /d IV, days 1 and 3; and DTIC 200 mg/m 2 /d intravenous continuous infusion (CIV) over 24 h, days 1 to 5, via central venous catheter. The treatment was given every 28 days. There were 3 complete responses (16%) and 10 partial responses (53%) yielding a total response rate of 69% (95% C.I. 43%, 87%). Myelosuppression was the predominant toxicity; no deaths were due to toxicity. After achieving maximum response to PEND, 10 eligible patients received a consolidative treatment with HDC/ASCT. All 6 patients who did not respond to PEND died from disease progression whereas 5 of 13 responders were alive after 10 years of follow-up (3 without disease). There were 11 deaths due to disease progression; three from other causes. The initial response to PEND before subsequent ASCT consolidation treatment appears to be associated with survival. All patients who failed to achieve a response have died. We conclude that PEND is an effective treatment strategy in Hodgkin lymphoma patients previously treated with both ABVD and MOPP.
doi:10.1080/1042819042000223831 pmid:15370253 fatcat:l7sdrko7izd6vlmvdw4mncftpm