Fundacje sakralne wojewody wołyńskiego Seweryna Józefa Rzewuskiego (po 1694–1755)
SUMMARY Seweryn Józef Rzewuski was the son of Stanisław Mateusz Rzewuski (1662–1728), grand crown hetman and Belz voivode, and Ludwika Eleonora Kunicka (coat of arms: Bończa; d. 1749). He was the older brother of Wacław Piotr Rzewuski (1706–1779), grand crown hetman and castellan of Cracow. The main house of Seweryn Józef and Antonia from the Potocki Rzewuski was the castle in Olesko. Before 1745 the voivode carried out renovation works at the castle, decorating it with stuccos and sculptures.
... os and sculptures. The main building Rzewuski founded was the church and Capuchin monastery located below the castle. The single-nave church has a double-span nave enclosed by two rows of lower, rectangular-shaped side chapels linked by narrow passages. The church has an austere, flat facade with one portal on the axis, typical for Polish Capuchin architecture. Monastery buildings were located on the northern side of the church. The wings of the monastery surrounded a rectangular inner viridary, uncommon for Capuchin monasteries. The monastery in Olesko was one of the most magnificent Polish Capuchin monasteries. Seweryn Józef and Antonina Rzewuski revered the blessed John of Dukla. This was manifested by their decision to found the building of a column dedicated to Blessed John of Dukla in Lviv in 1736. The Rzewuski kept good relations with the Greek Catholics from Chełm and the Chełm starosty. Rzewuski founded baroque side-altars for the orthodox church in Kanie, which are now in the local parish church. He was also one of the initiators of the coronation of the icon of Our Lady of Chełm. Seweryn Józef Rzewuski inherited Łęczna (1737), and as the city's owner he began renovating the parish church of Saint Mary Magdalene, rebuilding the burned city hall, two market squares and establishing a third one. Rzewuski founded two new, baroque altars for the church. Two side-altars, the pulpit, baptismal font and two altars in side chapels remain until this day. The remains of the programme, that can be found on the altars, indicate a close link between the passion and eucharistic worship. In 1745 Seweryn Józef finished building and decorating a small, single-navechurch in Łuszczów. All aforementioned buildings and art founded by Seweryn Józef Rzewuski, except from the column dedicated to the blessed John of Dukla in Lviv, were located on territories which belonged to the voivode.