Exclusive Breast Feeding Practice and Associated Factors in Kemba Woreda, Southern Ethiopia, a Community Based Cross-Sectional Study

Eskezyiaw Agedew Getahun
2017 International Journal of Science Technology and Society  
Exclusive breastfeeding is defined as feeding infants only breast milk with no addition of any liquid or solids. Evidence shows that sixty percent of under-five mortality caused by malnutrition and more than two-thirds of those are associated with inappropriate breast feeding practices during infancy. The objective of this paper was to assess exclusive breast feeding practice and associated factors among 6-24 months young child in Kemba Woreda. Community based cross sectional study was
more » ... among 562 mothers who have young children. Univariate, binary and Multivariate analysis was conducted by SPSS version 20. Significant factors were identified based on P-value less than 0.05. From all respondent 40.6% exclusive breast feed for six months and the rest 59.4% started additional complementary food before six months. Age of mothers those who are in age group >=30 years, Education level those who have no formal education AOR 2.76(1.63-4.69), occupational of mothers those who work as daily workers AOR 3.06(1.03-9.12) and Private work activity (merchant, farmers) AOR 2.39(1.61-3.53), mothers who have no post natal follow up and who did not have Growth monitoring follow up for their child in Health service AOR(1.64(1.05-2.55), 1.95(1.19-3.17)) respectively were significantly associated factors for starting additional complementary food before six months in the study area. A significant proportion of mothers were started additional complementary food before sex months. Extending maternal leave, practical support of mothers on adapting breast milk expression feeding and organizing baby center in government institution and continuous health education on importance of exclusive breast feeding should be considered for improving exclusive breast feeding practice to optimal level.
doi:10.11648/j.ijsts.20170504.11 fatcat:cgsp366tkvfhbnsmxjsjvjoffm