Prevalence of beta-lactamase CTX-M-15 in phylogenetic groups of uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolated from patients in the community of Merida, Venezuela
Prevalencia de beta-lactamasa CTX-M-15 en grupos filogenéticos de Escherichia coli uropatógena aisladas en pacientes de la comunidad en Mérida, Venezuela

Erick Hernández, María Araque, Ysheth Millán, Beatriz Millán, Silvana Vielma
2014 Investigación Clínica  
In this study we determined the prevalence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) in phylogenetic groups of uropathogenic E. coli (UPEC) isolated from patients in the community. Twenty one UPEC strains with reduced susceptibility to broad-spectrum cephalosporins were collected between January 2009 and July 2010, from patients with urinary tract infection who attended the Public Health Laboratory in Mérida, Venezuela. Genotypic characterization determined that all UPEC strains harbored
more » ... trains harbored blaBLEEs genes: 76.2% of the strains showed the presence of a single ESBL-producer gene, represented by blaCTX-M-15, whereas 23.8% of UPEC showed various combinations of bla genes (blacCTX-M-15 + blaTEM-1, blaCTX-M-15 + blaSHV and blaSHV + blaTEM-1). In this study, 61.9% of the isolates were placed in phylogroup A and the remaining strains were assigned to group B2 (38.1%). There was no evidence of spread of a particular UPEC clone; only seven strains belonged to a clonal group with an index of similarity greater than 85%. To our knowledge, this is the first description of blxCTX-M-15 in UPEC from patients with community-acquired urinary tract infections, which shows that Venezuela is also part of the so-called CTX-M-15 pandemic. The findings in this study, as well as its clinical and epidemiological implications, lead to the need for monitoring and controlling the spread of CTX-M-15 producing UPECs, not only regionally, but also nationwide.
pmid:24758100 fatcat:2zrjolvky5b2xlqz4vbu7wcoxq