Assessment of Prevalence of Road Traffic Accident and it's Associated Factors in Chuko Town, Southern Ethiopia

Kaleab Tesfaye Tegegne
2019 South Asian Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences  
A road traffic accident is an incident on a way or street open to public traffic, resulting in one or more persons being killed or injured, and involving at least one moving vehicle..Ethiopia, a developing country in Africa, has witnessed a number of the most risky roads in the world and has followed to overtake a determined road spreading out guiding principle in the past 15 years. Objective: To assess the prevalence and associated factors of Road Traffic Accidents in Chuko town, Sidama zone,
more » ... town, Sidama zone, Southern Ethiopia from March 27 to April 4, 2009 E.C. Method: Community based cross sectional study was done in Chuko Town with a total sample size of 422 from March 27 to April 4, 2009 E.C. The quantitative data was checked, edited, and entered to SPSS software version 20. The study employed logistic regression and chi-square analysis models. Data from qualitative was analyzed manually then triangulated with the quantitative one. The result is presented using descriptive statistics using tables, graphs and charts. Result: A total of 422 respondents participated in our study with 100% respondent rate. Among them, 244 (57.8%) were male and the rest 178 (42.2%) were female. Among the participants recruited on data collection, 99(23.5%) of them had previous history of RTA. Concerning the causes of RTA, 141(33.4%) majority of them were caused by poor road condition followed by 119(28.2%) by over speed. The results from FGDs and interviews showed that the Town has traffic flow and motor bikes were most common causes of the accident. It also revealed that the Road and Traffic Office had worked on public education even if it"s not enough. Conclusion and Recommendation: The study found out that RTA is big problem of the Town and the Town is experiencing it. The most common cause of RTA is poor road condition and Motor Bikes are most commonly involved in the accident. Legalizing Motor Bikes, public meeting and improving the road condition are among the recommendations given to various groups.
doi:10.36346/sarjps.2019.v01i03.003 fatcat:7m627urp6zcwrd3fefjaboc2m4