RehabMove 2018: EFFECTS OF A PEDIASUIT ADAPTED PROTOCOL IN THE MOTOR FUNCTION OF CHILDREN WITH CEREBRAL PALSY

R.S.K. Kos, S.M.V.M. Marino, L.E.O.M.R. Robbi, A.C.J. Cliquet Jr
2018 Zenodo  
PURPOSE:The purpose of this study was to verify if the PediaSuit Method in a semi-intensive adapted format is effective to increase the motor function of children with Cerebral Palsy. METHODS: Longitudinal study in which eight children with CP was classified by the Gross Motor Function Classification System (GMFCS) and underwent the gross motor function assessment using the Gross Motor Function Measure (GMFM) before the intervention with the PediaSuit Method. This method is described by an
more » ... escribed by an intensive format, where the child is attended wearing the suit five times a week, during three hours, in a period of one month. Meanwhile, based on the politics of the attendance of the Rehabilitation Center where the study was made, this intervention was adapted to the therapy wearing the suit once a week, during three hours, but followed in a period of four months. This adaptation was made to complete the 80 hours of intervention with the suit, required by the traditional configuration of the method. After this semi-intensive follow-up, the children were assessed again through the GMFM. RESULTS: The GMFCS showed that 75% of the sample had score III, and the other 25% divided into II and IV, 12,5% each. Even the raw score showing increase in every section of the GMFM, there was no statistic difference between the assessment before and after the intervention according to the Student's t-Test (lying and rolling (p=0,16), sitting (p=0,15), crawling and kneeling (p=0,09), standing, walking (p=0,44), running and jumping (p=0,39). CONCLUSIONS: There are some quality-based benefits about this semi-intensive adapted protocol of the PediaSuit Method. However, the classic application of the method in a short and intensive period seems to bring more benefits to the motor repertoire of the children with CP.
doi:10.5281/zenodo.1481932 fatcat:tn25djawufaszobbkrjyrufjjy