Reports of Medical and Surgical Practice in the Hospitals of Great Britain

1872 BMJ (Clinical Research Edition)  
about I P.'m., I was called to attend 'Mr. P., a farmer in this district. On my arrival at his residence, I found him in violent convulsions with trismus, and blood passing from the mouth in consequence of the teeth having wounded the tongue. He was quite comatose ; the face and neck were livid ; the breathing stertorous; the extremities and surface of the body were cold; the pulse was scarcely perceptible. I had him put into a warm bath immediately. In forty minutes the convulsions ceased,
more » ... ulsions ceased, sensibility partly returned, the face and neck had assumed their natural hue, the breathing became quieter, the extremities and body were warm, and the pulse much stronger. Ile was then removed to bed, wrapped in blankets; a bottle of warm water was put to the feet, cold applications to the head, and a strong mtustard stupe to the nape of the neck. I saw the patient again at 7 P. M.; he was then perfectly conscious; the convulsions had not returned ; the breathing was calm ; the body and extremities had increased in temperature; the pulse was 88 ; the tongue moist and clean, but sore. I-le had passed about half a pint of urine, which was more acid than normal urine ; but I could not detect in it the odour of carbolic acid. HIe complained of giddiness, but no pain, in the head ; he had pain in the face and neck, with the taste of carbolic acid in the mouth and throat, and a great deal of gastric irritation. I gave him an aperient, and afterwards a mixture composed of nitrate of bismuth, dilute hydrocyanic acid (P.L.), acacia mixture and water, a gargle for the mouth of chlorate of potash and tincture of myrrh, and a liniment of equal parts of belladonna and soap liniment, to be applied to the neck and face. At my next visit, on the 27th, at 10 A.M., I found him much better. The mixture, gargle, and embrocation, were continued ; and he was allowed a light diet of boiled chicken, sago, and milk. He improved daily, and was quite convalescent on the 30th. Had the warm bath not acted so beneficially in restoring my patient, I should at once have resorted to venesection. Mr. P. told me that on the day he became ill he was engaged in his usual occupation amongst the cattle, and had been exposed for three hours to the fumes of strong carbolic acid ; and that as he was going to the house to dinner he was seized with giddiness, stupor, and convulsions. In the case of poisoning by carbolic acid, quoted in the TOURNAL October 26th, from Dr. Alosler, the symptoms were similar to those under which my patient laboured.
doi:10.1136/bmj.2.621.579-b fatcat:drtfeqcvure3hd3qlxnzio2e5u