Geographical Notes

1904 Journal of geography (Houston)  
January 2 GEOGRAPHICAL NOTES Some Facts About Panama.-The commerce of Panama amounts t o about three million dollars per annum; its population to about three hundred thousand, and its area to 31,571 square miles, or nearly equal to that of the State of Indiana. These figures are the latest available data on commerce, population, and area. Those of commerce are from the reports of the United States consuls a t Panama and Colon, which have just been received, and not yet published; those of
more » ... hed; those of population are based upon the latest official estimate, which shows the population in 1881, and was based upon the census of 1871; while the figures of area are from accepted geographical authorities and are those of the area of the "Department of Panama" of the Colombian Republic. The principal ports are Panama, on the Pacific coast, and Colon, on the Atlantic side, and these ports are visited annually by more than one thousand vessels, which land over one million tons of merchandise and nearly one hundred thousand passengers, chiefly for transfer over the Panama Railway, forty-seven miles in length, connecting the Pacific port of Panama with the Atlantic port of Colon. Colon, or Aspinwall, as it is sometimes called, has a population of about t4hree thousand persons. The city of Panama has a population of about twenty-five thousand. It was founded in 1519, burned in 1671, and rebuilt in 1673, while Colon is of much more recent date, having been founded in 1855. The population, which, as already indicated, amounts in number to about three hundred thousand, is composed of various elements-Spanish, Indian, Negro, and a limited number of persons from the European countries and the United States, especially those engaged in commerce and transportation, and the operation of the Panama railway. A considerable number of the population is composed of persons brought to the isthmus as laborers for the construction of the canal, and of their descendants. Since the abolition of slavery in Jamaica, a considerable number of blacks and mulattoes have settled on the isthmus as small dealers and farmers, and in some villages on the Atlantic side they are said to be in the majority, and, as a result, the English language is much in use, especially on the Atlantic side. Some of the native population have retained their customs, speech, and physical type, especially those in the west,ern part of the province, and
doi:10.1080/00221340408986012 fatcat:ztbnthkqpbhn7n2gbvsdykx5b4