Clinical Profile and HIV Status of the HIV Exposed Infants from Birth to 6 Months of Life

Hamsa M, SNCU Specialist, Department of Pediatrics, Chaluvamba Hospital, MMC&RI, Mysore., Sampath Kumar C, Rajendra V Naidu, Prakash K Wari, Junior Resident, Department of Pediatrics, Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road, Bangalore., Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli., Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli.
2019 Asian Journal of Clinical Pediatrics and Neonatology  
Approximately 15-25% of HIV-infected newborns in developed countries present with a rapid disease course, with onset of AIDS and symptoms during the 1st few months of life and a median survival time of 6-9 months if untreated. In resource-poor countries, the majority of HIV-infected newborns will have this rapidly progressing disease. Subjects and Methods: All babies who were exposed to HIV positive mother irrespective of mode of delivery and received NVP birth dose within 6 to 12 hours of
more » ... to 12 hours of delivery and prophylaxis continued till 6 weeks according to PPTCT guidelines 2012 by National AIDS Control organization(NACO). Results: Among 21 babies, 19 (90.5%) babies had both parents HIV positive and in 2 (9.5%) only mother was HIV positive. Out of the 21 mothers in this study, Almost 9(42.8%) mothers had CD4 count of <350 and remaining 12(57.2%) mothers had CD4 count >350. Conclusion: Out of 21 babies, 15 (71.4%) were delivered by spontaneous vaginal delivery, 5 (23.8%) through LSCS and 1 (4.8%) by Instrumental (forceps) delivery.
doi:10.21276/ajcpn.2019.7.2.5 fatcat:56iec6jlffbdnpkgc4qw4h4pci