A Study to Classify the Causes of Stillbirth by Relevant Condition at Death (ReCoDe) in a Tertiary Care Hospital
English

Sukhvinder Kaur, Md. Aftabuddin Mondal, Anuradha De Pati, Selim Akhtar, Shyamapada Pati, Nidhi Shankar
2020 Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences  
A B S T R A C T BACKGROUND Parents and health care workers have to face horrible experiences due to foetal death or stillbirth. Identification of the aetiologies and clinical conditions leading to still births is helpful for reassurance of couples, management of future pregnancies and to reduce its incidence in the society. Over a period of seven years from 1997 -2003, the new ReCoDe (Relevant Condition at Death) classification system was developed. We performed this study to identify the
more » ... nt causes and conditions for foetal death, classify them and to suggest measures to reduce its incidence in general population. METHODS This is a prospective observational study of 120 mothers, done . Sample size was taken at conveniences. RESULTS Age of the patients ranged between 15 to 40 years. Stillbirths were encountered in 40.83 % of primipara, 21.6 % of 3 rd gravida with 2 nd , 4 th and 5 th gravida 10 -15 % each. Maximum stillbirths were observed in 32 -35 gestational weeks and followed by 36 -39 weeks gestational age (37.5 % and 29.16 %) respectively. Out of 120 cases, 68 were boys (57 %), 50 were girls (42 %) and 1.6 % had unidentified sex. Majority of the stillbirth (33 %) were of 1500 -1999 grams birth weight. Majority of the stillbirths 60 % were fresh and 40 % macerated. 11 cases (9 %) had past history of stillbirths in previous pregnancy. 91 % cases of stillbirths could be assigned a relevant condition as per ReCoDe classification, leaving only 9 % as unclassified or unexplained. CONCLUSIONS Our study simplified the way to classify and identify the relevant causes and conditions of foetal death in our study population. Most patients can be managed properly at right time. Careful antenatal management, proper counselling, early detection of medical disorders in pregnancy with treatment, nutritious diet, timely hospital / doctor visit, social awareness, discouraging superstitions, timely referral to higher facility should be prioritised to reduce the incidence of foetal death.
doi:10.14260/jemds/2020/751 fatcat:az7o3pikbjgwbcjk2c3vz7mfiq