Prevalence Study of Antibiotic Usage and Health Care Associated Infections in Northern Cyprus

Wissal Jame, Abdikarim Mohamed Abdi, Hüseyin Kaya Süer, Nedim Çakir, Bilgen Basgut
2019 Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International  
Purpose: This study aims to provide a prevalence survey of antibiotic usage and HAIs and evaluate the cost of antibiotic therapy. Methods: All inpatients on surgery, paediatrics, medicine, and ICU specialities were surveyed within a period of one week, April 2016 at Near East University hospital in Northern Cyprus. ACross-sectional study was performed and desired data on antibiotic use and HAIs were collected and analysed. Results: Out of 137 inpatients, 39.4% (n=54) were on one or two
more » ... cs. The usage of antibiotic was appropriate in 70% of the patients while it was inappropriate in the remaining 30%. The most common appropriate use was seen in empirical (80.6%) and prophylaxis (69.2%), while in definitive therapy cases (60.0%), the usage of antibiotics was irrationally inappropriate. Overall, 10.9% of hospitalized patients developed HAI. The most prevalent infection was UTI (urinary tract infections) (33.3%). Prevalence of HAIs was high in patients over 30 years old and in those who stay in hospital more than 10 days. The overall daily cost of antibiotic therapy was $919.61 per day, while the total daily cost for hospital infections was $482. Conclusion: Irrational antibiotic use was seen mostly in definitive therapy, continuous use of empirical therapy without carrying microbiological test was commonly observed. The prevalence of HAI was relatively high which led to more hospitalization and more cost.
doi:10.9734/jpri/2018/v25i230095 fatcat:mctjwumbtja3nm6ov3whgfb2nm