Copper Biosorption byPenicillium Cyclopium: Equilibrium and Modelling Study

M. Ianis, K. Tsekova, S. Vasileva
2006 Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment  
Equilibrium and modelling study on copper biosorption by live cells of Penicillium cyclopium using fuzzy knowledge-based system was performed. Heavy metal uptake was found to be high, rapid and strongly dependent on both biomass and copper ion concentrations in the solutions. Most of total copper ions taken up by Penicillium cyclopium (up to 75%) were deposited in the cell surface during the first 5 min. The rest 25 % were bound to the cells during the next 50 min. of the process. The largest
more » ... cess. The largest amount of the heavy metal was removed from the solution with initial pH of the solution about 4.5. It is assumed that the copper biosorption by Penicillium cyclopium involves physico-chemical interaction between the metal ions and the functional groups present on the cell surface as well as the electrostatic attraction between groups plays an important role in this process.
doi:10.1080/13102818.2006.10817332 fatcat:nza5i265gvaprgnir2cbzjbopi