Report of a Successful Search for Flint-Implements in a Cave Called "The Oyle," Near Tenby, South Wales, in June and July, 1862

Gilbert N. Smith
1863 The Geologist  
This is a cave in the Mountain Limestone, with a wide entrance looking to the north-east at about 70 feet above the level of the valley beneath, up which the tide has recently flowed. The cave extends tortuously for 30 or 40 yards into the axis of a ridge which is a spur of the "Ridgeway," extending from Pembroke to Tenby, composed of the Old Red, the strike of which is east and west. Within, the cave is distinguished by chambers, alternating with narrow passages. The floor is generally not
more » ... s generally not more than three feet deep, at which depth the limestone is met with as at the roof and sides. The entrance being conspicuous, it is often visited from curiosity, but has never before been carefully explored for the definite purpose of discovering works of ancient art. This search was prompted by the recent discoveries in France and at Hoxne, strongly seconded by the fact that above, on the Ridgeway, some six or seven barrows exist, which yielded to the reporter and others a few years since, not only cinerary urns, but also well-shaped flint arrow-heads. So much by way of introduction. The Section will be glad to learn that the search in this cave for flint weapons has been successful, and that the number found is seventy-three, including the identical lumps of flint which remained after the chips had been struck off, when from their reduced size they were no longer capable of yielding flakes sufficiently large to answer the destined purpose, whatever that might be.
doi:10.1017/s1359465600001891 fatcat:eftgdqfppfgnnkv3tj6gso34he