XVI. Letter addressed by John Gage, Esq. F.R.S. Director, to Henry Petrie, Esq., accompanying drawings of Remains of the Prior of Lewes' Hostelry, in the parish of St. Olave, Southwark

John Gage
1831 Archaeologia  
The Church of St. Olave, Southwark, was confirmed to the Prior and Convent of St. Pancras of Lewes, in Sussex, by William, second Earl Warren and Surrey, son of their founder, and in face of the Church on the south side of the way now called Tooley Street, contiguous with Carter Lane, they built, or became possessed of, a Hostelry for the convenience of the Prior and monks coming to London, and for the reception of strangers. It does not appear how they acquired this property; the charter of
more » ... ; the charter of confirmation does not comprise any lands in Southwark. Earl William died in 1138, and there are sufficient grounds for presuming that the Prior had no lodgings in St. Olave's until a later period.
doi:10.1017/s026134090001746x fatcat:6s55iysnujczjnyq536kv5vska