Automatic Mesh Generation: Application to Finite Elements Method

J. A. Zukas
1995 Shock and Vibration  
The first step in a finite element calculation is determination of a computational mesh, that is, the reduction of a real domain with a regular or irregular boundary having infinite degrees of freedom to a computational simulant with a finite system of nodes and elements at which the solution will be determined and that, in the limit, should exhibit the characteristics of the original domain when subjected to given boundary and initial conditions. In practice, this is a critical and
more » ... cal and time-consuming step. The quality of the numerical solution is strongly related to the quality of the mesh. Furthermore, only about 20% of an engineer's time is spent on computations. The remaining 80% is spent in determining and refining the computational mesh and interpreting computational results. Hence, the better the preprocessor (mesh generator) and postprocessor (display capability) of a given finite element program in terms of capability, generality, and user friendliness, the more efficient the use of an engineer's time and the lower the project cost. This is a very good introductory book for someone completely new to mesh generation techniques for finite element calculations. The first two chapters are concerned with basic definitions. In addition, mesh generation schemes are assigned to seven categories:
doi:10.1155/1995/921490 fatcat:hmiu4dendrdefnjf4po3d6qk5m