Sabrin Ara, Rabea Khatun, Mohammad Salah Uddin
2021 International Journal of Engineering Applied Sciences and Technology  
In the rush towards urbanization as well as with emerging consumption, many developing countries have witnessed the overflow of waste and depletion of the inexhaustible natural resources at an alarming rate. As wastes are the outgrowth of the urban system, the urban dynamics influence the quantity, types and management of waste. The purpose of this study is to estimate the amount of the generated wastes from 2002 to 2017 with the urban growth of Sylhet city and implement the 3R (recycling,
more » ... , refuse) strategy conceptually for maximizing resource recovery and reducing landfilling. In this study, solid waste generation and it's composition is estimated by collecting data through interviews encompassing 300 units from the representative areas and direct field survey. Correlation test between population and solid waste has been performed to measure the strength of association. The result indicated that, in 15 years, waste generation has increased 170 tons which calls for better management. From the study it is shown that about 72.46% (188.396 tons) of the waste can be minimized by executing 3Rs leaving only 27.54% to be dumped into landfill. It is evident that, implementation of the 3Rs will have a profound impact to protect the environment.
doi:10.33564/ijeast.2021.v05i10.004 fatcat:vi4tdpba4fg4lpaagwg3ibogfu