English in the nursing degree: a pending subject

Rafaela Camacho-Bejarano, Ana Barquero-González, María Isabel Mariscal-Crespo, Dolores Merino-Navarro
2013 Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem  
OBJECTIVE: The new competence profile of nursing professionals, scientific and medical development, the free circulation of health professionals worldwide, and the increasing social and cultural diversity requires that nurses have specific abilities in spoken and written English. The objective of this research is to describe the characteristics of the English language training required for a Bachelors of Nursing in Spain. METHOD: A descriptive cross-sectional observational study has been
more » ... udy has been performed in forty-six Spanish universities that offer the Bachelor in nursing degree. RESULTS: In line with the directives of the European Higher Education Area, all universities contemplate the mandatory credit of a second language emphasizing English, although there is considerable variability in the emphasis: 39.4% do not include any English subject, and of the remaining 60.6% who do include it, 60% considered it an elective subject, 32.5% basic education, and 7.5% mandatory. CONCLUSIONS: The English training has different characteristics in each university, which implies a different commitment from each center for this learning. This fact questions the adequacy of the education in relation to the new competence profile required by the European Higher Education Area, which may adversely affect future professional development.
doi:10.1590/s0104-11692013000200023 pmid:23797560 fatcat:ou773ftqnraldixsdju5257yje