Weak Concordance Between Wall Motion and Microvasculature Status After Acute Myocardial Infarction: Study with Myocardial Contrast Echocardiography in Real Time with Power Modulation

R Moreno
2002 European Journal of Echocardiography  
Aims: The microvasculature damage after myocardial infarction has important implications. The hypothesis of the study was that wall motion abnormalities and microcirculation status do not necessarily match after myocardial infarction, and therefore the study of only myocardial wall motion could offer an incomplete evaluation in these patients. Methods: Wall motion and myocardial perfusion assessed by contrast echocardiography were evaluated by two different blinded investigators in 29 patients
more » ... ors in 29 patients with recent (<1 week) myocardial infarction. Myocardial perfusion was assessed in real-time using power modulation after Optison (1·5-3·0 ml) intravenous administration. Results: One hundred and ninety-nine segments could be adequately evaluated. Of these, 54 (27%) were akinetic. Regarding contrast opacification, 134 segments (67%) had a normal perfusion, whereas the remaining 65 (33%) had an impaired (n=37, 19%) or absent (n= 28, 14·1%) perfusion. Concordance between presence of akinesia and abnormal contrast opacification was only moderate (kappa index 0·42) and agreement only occurred in 116 segments (58%). Fourteen per cent of normoquinetic segments had an impaired perfusion, whereas 35% of akinetic segments had a preserved perfusion. Correlation between the proportion of segments with akinesia and the proportion of segments with impaired perfusion was moderate (r=0·41), and there was no correlation between the proportion of segments with akinesia and the percentage of segments with absent perfusion. Conclusion: There is a weak association between regional systolic function and myocardial perfusion after myocardial infarction, as assessed by real-time contrast myocardial echocardiography using power modulation. (Eur J Echocardiography 2002; 3: 89-94)
doi:10.1053/euje.2002.0161 pmid:12114091 fatcat:wficwwoiyjgczhdjh7jm435kei