Caddo Ceramic Vessels from the Eli Moores Site (41BW2), Bowie County, Texas

Timothy K. Perttula
2016 Index of Texas Archaeology Open Access Grey Literature from the Lone Star State  
The Eli Moores site (41BW2) is an important ancestral Caddo mound center and habitation site on the Red River in the East Texas Pineywoods, likely part of the Nasoni Caddo village visited by the Teran de los Rios entrada in 1691. The Eli Moores site is situated on a natural levee of the Red River, currently about 2.5 km north of the site. The site, occupied from the 17th to the early 18th century, may have been the residence of the Caddi of the Nasoni Caddo when it was visited by the French and
more » ... d by the French and Spanish, and the Xinesi lived in a temple on the mound at the nearby Hatchel site (41BW3). The site was investigated by the University of Texas in 1932, and in one of the mounds and in associated midden deposits, the remains of Caddo structures, midden deposits, features, eight burials (with nine individuals), and a large ceramic and lithic assemblage were recovered, along with well-preserved plant and faunal remains.
doi:10.21112/.ita.2016.1.68 fatcat:5xbl6k2pb5hsjhc644kbvrdlam