Notes and News [stub]

1883 Science  
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the mid--seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries. We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non--commercial purposes. Read more about Early Journal
more » ... out Early Journal Content at JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not--for--profit organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please contact S CIE. needed, a tower runs through the central part of the western section. The tower has a total height of 60 feet; it is built with double walls to isolate it from the rest of the building, the outer walls carrying the floors. Above the roof, the sides of the tower are almost entirely of glass. There is free access to the four sides of the tower, as well as to the top, which is at a height of 72 feet from the basement-floor. Openings are left at every story to allow light to be sent to the central part of the tower. The piers of the first floor are also so arranged as to obtain lines of considerable length across the building. The doors are so placed that adjoining rooms are readily thrown open together. The laboratory, built to commemorate Ellen Wayles Coolidge, grand-daughter of Thomas Jefferson, has been namned the ' Jefferson laboratory.' It seems most appropriate that the name of one who was among the first to recognize the value of university education in this country should be connected with a bufilding to be devoted to the investigation of some of the most interesting problems of nature. The cost of the building, with the necessary fixtures, will be about $115,000. There is a fund of $75,000, the income of which is to be expended for the benefit of the physical laboratory, in addition to the appropriations and expenditures now incurred for physics by the college. NOTES AND NEWS. Zoologists the world over will regret to learn of the death of the genial and talented Wilhelm Karl Hartwig Peters, director of the zoological museum of Berlin, and younger brother of Dr. Peters of our own Clinton observatory. Dr. Peters was born at Coldenbiittel, near Eiderstedt, in Schleswig, on April 22, 1815, and died in Berlin on the 20th of last month. Immediately after completing his studies in medicine and natural history at Copenhagen and Berlin, he undertook a journey to southern France and Italy to investigate the fauna of the Mediterranean. Returning to Berlin in 1840 as assistant in the anatomical institute of the university, he soon laid his plans for an independent investigation of the unexplored regions of Mozambique, in which he received the advice and support of his distinguished friends, Johannes Miiller, Humboldt, Ritter, Ehrenberg, and Lichtenstein, and the powerful patronage of the king, Frederic William IV. He left for this journey -the great event of his lifein 1842, and was absent more than five years. Two years were spent in the interior of Mozambique; but he also made journeys to the Comoro Islands, to Zanzibar, Madagascar, and the Cape, and, before his return, visited the coast of India. His Reise nach Mozambique, published between 1852 and 1868 in five quarto volumnes, is the result of this exploration, and is a model for faunal work of this kind. Returning to Berlin in 1848, he was made prosector at the institute, afterwards professor extraordinary, and in 1857 succeeded Lichtenstein as full professor in the university, and director of the zo6logical museum. The museum, under his administra- 438 S CIE.