Carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity is associated with overall cardiovascular risk score assessed by SCORE system in urbanised Polish population

Mateusz Podolec, Aleksander Siniarski, Andrzej Pająk, Paweł Rostoff, Grzegorz Gajos, Jadwiga Nessler, Maria Olszowska, Michał Nowakowski, Krystyna Szafraniec, Grzegorz Kopeć
2014 Kardiologia polska  
A b s t r a c t Background: The Systemic COronary Risk Estimation (SCORE) system is recommended for the assessment of cardiovascular disease (CVD) death risk in individuals free of CVD. Aim: We sought to determine the association between carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (CFPWV) and SCORE. Methods: The study involved 1008 Krakow residents, and a random subsample of 3424 men and 3205 women who participated in Wave 2 of the Polish part of the Health, Alcohol, and Psychosocial factors in Eastern
more » ... factors in Eastern Europe (HAPIEE) study. At baseline we performed a medical interview, physical examination, evaluation of present comorbidities, medications using standardised methods. A follow-up of 4.9 years included measurement of CFPWV using an automatic, computerised Complior ® system. Results: Final analysis included 720 patients (378 women), aged 58.5 ± 6.5 years at baseline. In 488 individuals without history of CVD and/or diabetes, SCORE was calculated. Median CFPWV was higher (p = 0.002) in men (12.5 m/s; interquartile range [IQR] 10.3-15.7) than in women (11.7 m/s; IQR 10.1-13.7). High CFPWV (> 10 m/s) was observed in 270 men (78.9%) and in 285 women (75.4%). We observed a strong association between high CVD risk (SCORE ≥ 5%) and high CFPWV (odds ratio 2.29; 95% confidence interval 1.17-4.46). The CFPWV cut-off value to differentiate between patients with low and high CVD risk was 11.7 m/s (with 58.6% sensitivity and 71.3% specificity, AUC = 0.68).
doi:10.5603/kp.a2019.0028 fatcat:crbph2paonerfpsz6uqw5aaqba