The electro-hydraulic pumping plant at the bristol docks

W.A. Clatworthy
1909 Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers  
There are a good many hydraulic pumps driven by electricity at the present time, various methods of control being adopted, and a paper describing the different systems would no doubt be of great interest. The plant about to be described, however, has, I believe, many points of interest, besides some features which are novel, particularly in the method of electrical control. The object of the plant is to provide water-power for operating various cranes, capstans, lock-gates, bridges, etc., in
more » ... ridges, etc., in connection with the Bristol Docks. Until quite recently this work has been done by two sets of heavy steam reciprocating pumps, automatically controlled in the usual wellknown way by the movement of the accumulator. There were several reasons for the substitution of electrical driving, amongst which may be mentioned that the boilers were becoming " done, 1 ' that the Bristol Corporation were supplying electric current at favourable rates, and not least, on account of the high efficiency obtaining in electric motor driving. There was space in the pumproom for three steam sets, but only two were installed, one at each end of the room. It was therefore decided to fix the first electrically driven set in the central position between the two steam sets. The foundations were of very massive concrete, room being left at the side and below the floor-level for the jack pumps, which were driven from the extension of crank disc pins through connecting rods. When this central set of electric pumps had been installed and satisfactorily set to work, one of the steam sets was removed, fresh concrete foundations being prepared for the second electrical set of pumps, which was next installed. Finally, the second set of steam pumps was removed and the third electrical set put in its place, but on new foundations. Pumps.-The new pumps, which were to the specification of Mr. W. W. Squire, the Bristol Docks engineer, and which were made by the well-known firm of engineers, Messrs. Fullerton, Hodgart & Barclay, Paisley, are of the duplex differential ram type, giving a very uniform delivery of water and having a fairly uniform turning effort. The pumps are of the outside packed plunger type, each pump being single acting on the suction and f'ving a double acting discharge. 1909.] PUMPING PLANT AT THE BRISTOL DOCKS. 631
doi:10.1049/jiee-1.1909.0035 fatcat:tld3b3guvffdjetbpbsxz2a34u