Tropical sprue in megaloblastic anemia

Yoganathan Chidambaram, Anith Kumar Mambatta, Sujith K. Sivaraj
2017 International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences  
The causes of megaloblastic anemia may vary in different geographical regions. The aim of the present study is to evaluate the utilization of bone marrow examination and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (UGIE) in megaloblastic anemia.Methods: This was a cross-sectional descriptive study done on 50 patients (age ≥15years) of macrocytic anemia after applying inclusion and exclusion criteria. A bone marrow aspiration with biopsy and an UGIE with duodenal biopsy were performed in consented patients
more » ... consented patients with evidence of megaloblastic anemia in the peripheral smear or Vitamin B12 deficiency or folate deficiency or both.Results: Out of 50 cases, 38 patients had pure Vitamin B12 deficiency, 2 patients had pure folate deficiency and 5 patients had combined deficiency. Among 43 patients with vitamin B12 deficiency, only four (9.3%) were vegetarians and remaining 39 (90.7%) were having non-vegetarian diet. Bone marrow study was done in 29 patients (out of 50) and all of them were found to have megaloblastic erythropoiesis in the bone marrow. Thirty three out of 50 consented for UGIE and duodenal biopsy. Out of 33, 17 patients (51.5%) had features of tropical sprue in biopsy.Conclusions: We found a high prevalence of tropical sprue in megaloblastic anemia due to Vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiency. We recommend that UGIE with deep duodenal biopsy should be considered in all patients with megaloblastic anemia to rule out tropical sprue in India.
doi:10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20173997 fatcat:euygluif2nhfldneptnruubr5a