Clinical Characteristics of Xanthelasma Palpebrarum and Clinical Effects of Upper Blepharoplasty with Local Flap Technique

Sang Min Lee, Helen Lew
2018 Journal of the Korean Ophthalmological Society  
Purpose: To evaluate the clinical characteristics of xanthelasma palpebrarum as well as surgical results of upper blepharoplasty with a local flap technique. Methods: We conducted a retrospective cross-sectional study including 12 patients who underwent removal of xanthelasma palpebrarum and upper blepharoplasty with the local flap technique from January 2010 to December 2017. Results: A total of 18 eyelids of 12 patients were included in this study. The average age was 47.0 years and three
more » ... ents (25.0%) were male and the other nine patients (75.0%) were female. There were seven patients (58.3%) on both sides of xanthelasma palpebrarum, and five patients (41.7%) on one side. There was hyperlipidemia in four patients (33.3%), hypertriglyceridemia in two patients (18.2%), and hyper-low density lipoproteinemia in two patients (18.2%). Two patients had recurrence and the same surgery was performed. There was no postoperative complication. All patients were satisfied except for asymmetry in the postoperative end, and overall postoperative satisfaction was 83.3% (10/12 patients). Conclusions: Xanthelasma palpebrarum often develops in both upper eyelids in middle-aged or older patients. Upper blepharoplasty with a local flap technique for the treatment of xanthelasma palpebrarum is an effective treatment for patients, especially in cases of ptosis or blepharochalasis. However, it should be noted that asymmetry of eyelids may occur after the surgery when surgery is performed on only one side. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc 2018;59(9):803-809
doi:10.3341/jkos.2018.59.9.803 fatcat:5hq5gete4rau5poehwumwytr6a