Alcohol Consumption and Knowledge of Health Risks in Students That Enter to the University: Nursing Intervention

Salazar M Javier, Castellanos C Edith, Garcia E Axel, Conzatti Hm Esperanza, Cabrera M Margarita, Perez E Yuzani, Enriquez Hc Beatriz
2018 Journal of Drug Abuse  
Alcoholism is a disorder of behavior manifested by an uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages. It interferes in mental, physical, social and/ or family health. Each year, there are 3.3 million deaths related to abuse and substance use, unfortunately, every day, it is used with more frequency in young people, 50% are 18 to 29 years old. Objective: To determine the consumption of alcohol and knowledge of health risks and to implement a psych educational intervention in University Degree´s
more » ... students of Nursing 2013, who enter to the university. Methodology: A qualitative and quantitative study, correlational and longitudinal type, in 118 students of new admission to the Licenciatura en Enfermería, from the Veracruzana University, with psych educational intervention. Result: 38% of women consume alcohol, 62% do not, 45.2% of men are consumers, the rest do not (54.8%). 82.2%, without alcoholism, has no cure, 75.4% of people who do it come from the lower social classes, on the other hand, 78.0%, said that so much people consume the substance, shows that it is not harmful as it is said. Conclusion: The Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) version 15 for Windows was used for the analysis of the information, using frequency, percentages and measures of central tendency: mean median and mode. Test of Kolmogorov Sminorv, Pearson correlation and parametric test of t paired student. A large part of the population do not consume alcohol (77.1%), who do it are a small amounts, about the knowledge 66.5% was low, 12.4%, are not aware of the negative effects, therefore the will be a precursor to the substance abuse, so, the nursing professional, should direct activities to promote and prevent health in aim of addictions, the intervention had an impact on consumption (t 1 =5.905 and t 2 =3.853; <0.01) and knowledge (t 1 =9.367 and t 2 =3.015; <0.01), approving the hypothesis: a lower knowledge of the negative effects of alcohol consumption, higher consumption (r-0.280; <0.01).
doi:10.21767/2471-853x.100072 fatcat:o53fgibucrhhzejesshwiuwybe