1 Hit in 0.032 sec

Screening for Urine Abnormalities Among School Children in Qalubyia

Maha Shalaby, Abd El-Hameed Abd El Hameed, Wesam Affifi, Walid Abd El Halim
2019 GEGET  
Early identification of kidney diseases in children and adolescents is an important initial step in prevention of chronic kidney diseases (CKD). The current study was undertaken to screen asymptomatic school children in Qalubyia governate, Egypt, and to detect the prevalence of renal disorders using urine dipstick method. Aim of Work The purpose of the study was to determine the prevalence of urinary abnormalities by dipstick test (reagent strips) in asymptomatic school children. Patients and
more » ... ren. Patients and Method This cross sectional study, was carried out in Qalubyia Governorate, from September 2018 to February 2019. It comprised (1000) school children of both sexes after obtaining an informed consent from the children's care givers. Ages of the children included in the study ranged from 6 to 12 years and they were 411 males (41.1%) and 589 females (58.9%). Results Out of total 1000 children, 411 (41.1%) were male children and remaining 589 (58.9%) were female students. During the first screening by urine dipstick method, 66 (6.6%) children were found to having urinary abnormalities which were further investigated by confirmatory complete urine analysis. Finally 33 were diagnosed having urinary abnormalities. The prevalence rate of isolated hematuria (IH) was 0.9%; isolated proteinuria (IP) was 0.4%; combined hematuria and proteinuria (CHP) was 0.1% and urinary tract infection (UTI) was 1.8% and Glycosuria was 0.1%. In microscopic urine examination, crystals was found positive in 0.8% of the cases. Abnormality in sonography of kidneys were found in 5 cases. Urine culture results were positive in 8 cases. Conclusions In conclusion, asymptomatic urinary abnormalities might be detected by urine screening program at school age.
doi:10.21608/geget.2019.38028 fatcat:sfg66nsgk5am7hozumprve3sbe